Rocky Point Academy staff
The warm and dedicated staff at Rocky Point Academy has extensive experience providing successful solutions for a wide spectrum of learning and behavioural struggles. Rocky Point Academy was established in 1998. The Davis® Programs provided at Rocky Point Academy are offered in over 45 nations and 30 languages (include link to Davis site). Each licensed Davis Facilitator has successfully completed a minimum of 420 hours of comprehensive training.
Larry Smith is an international workshop presenter, trainer, facilitator and co-director of Rocky Point Academy in Calgary, Alberta.
While working towards his education degree, with undergraduate work in psychology, Larry worked as a job coach and life-skills facilitator. He created, implemented and evaluated individual programs for people with mental and physical challenges.
After graduating from university, Larry became a teacher in the public school system. He worked primarily with students in grades 6-12. It was here that he began to see the discrepancy between his students’ intelligence and their ability to perform well in school. Many of his brightest students were the ones struggling to make good grades.
The solutions offered by the Davis programs resonated with Larry’s own history of autism and dyslexia, as well as what he was seeing in his classroom. He took a personal program and because of the dramatic results, decided this correction was something he needed to offer to others. Larry received his training from Ron Davis, became a licensed Davis Facilitator and opened up Rocky Point Academy. In 2009 Larry was invited by Davis Dyslexia Association International to become a workshop presenter and trainer. He has provided hundreds of personal programs and trained facilitators from around the globe.
Larry is an Alberta Literacy Award of Merit recipient. This award recognizes individuals for “exceptional dedication, significant accomplishments in literacy, and outstanding initiative and leadership in support of literacy in Alberta.” Larry gives many presentations to schools, communities and organizations in order to enhance awareness of the positive gifts and thought processes which often accompany learning disabilities, ADD and autism.
- Davis Dyslexia Correction Program
- Davis Math Mastery Program
- Davis Attention Mastery Program
- Davis Reading Program for Young Learners
- Davis Autism Approach Facilitator
- Davis Autism Approach Coach
- Davis Life Skills Program
Additional Davis training:
- Fundamentals Workshop Presenter
- Advanced Workshop Presenter
- Motivation and Responsibility Workshop Presenter
- Davis Autism Training Supervisor
For information on Professional Workshops and Training click here.
Stacey Smith has provided training to Davis facilitators from around the globe. She is a licensed Davis Specialist, facilitator and co-director of Rocky Point Academy.
Stacey’s interest in teaching began at a very young age. Because of her great love for teaching, as well as a supportive administration and staff, Stacey solo taught reading, math, science, social, music and health classes to grade 1-3 classrooms (5+ hours a week), throughout her Junior High and High School years.
While pursuing her Education Degree, Stacey continued to volunteer in elementary schools, coached the local Special Olympics Swim Team and worked at Opportunities Unlimited (O.U.). While working at O.U. Stacey had opportunity to create, implement and evaluate individual programs; as well as teach life-skill classes for those with mental and physical challenges.
Stacey obtained her Education Degree with minors in psychology, child development and special education in 1996. She has offered many workshops for teachers in order to enhance awareness of the positive aspects of learning disabilities, ADD and autism.
Perhaps it was because of her own experience growing up as a dyslexic that Stacey was always exploring new, multisensory teaching programs. Still, there were always those bright students who struggled to read, write or do math, despite trying various teaching strategies. Finally, the puzzle pieces came together for those students when Stacey introduced the Davis procedures to them. Students who were struggling previously were catching up quickly, self esteem was rising and behavioural issues were almost completely eliminated. It was these results which moved Stacey to leave the classroom and focus on helping children who weren’t learning easily with traditional approaches. She became a licensed Davis Facilitator and co-established Rocky Point Academy. In 2009 she was invited by Davis Dyslexia Association International to become a part of their training team as a Supervisor-Specialist and now enjoys working with facilitators-in-training, as well as taking individual clients each week.
Additional Davis Training:
Davis Supervisor Specialist:
- This position includes supervising: basic, advanced, and POD practice weeks for facilitators-in-training; evaluating trainees field practice work; reviewing annual case reports for relicensing purposes; and supporting both trainees and Davis Licensed Facilitators when they have questions or concerns.
Davis Autism Training Supervisor
- This position includes supervising Davis Autism Approach trainees during their fieldwork, and supporting both trainees and Davis Autism Licensed Facilitator/Coach’s when they have questions or concerns.
For information on Professional Workshops and Training click here.
At Rocky Point Academy we know it is necessary to be continuously growing and learning in order to offer the best tools and experience possible for our clients. In addition to Davis programs, the staff at Rocky Point Academy draws knowledge from their training in:
- Reading Readiness
- The Hanen Program
- RAILS (Reading And Integrated Literacy Strategies)
- Ladders to Literacy
- Reading Reels
- Reading Recovery
- Four Squares
- Family Math
- Saxton Math
- Great Leaps
- Box Cars and One-Eyed Jacks
- Miquon Math
- Buzan Mind-Mapping
- The Write Connection
- Loops and Other Groups
- Handwriting Without Tears
- Advanced Brain Technologies
- TIR (Traumatic Incident reduction)
- NLP (Neural-Linguistic Programming)
- Jensen Brain-Based Learning
- ENVoY (Educational Non-Verbal Yardsticks)
- Law of Connections: Learning and Communication Styles
- Accelerated Learning
- Alexander Technique
- Brain Gym
- Motivation and Behaviour Keys
- Love & Logic
- Richard Lavoie
– The Motivation Breakthrough: 6 secrets to Turning On the Tuned-Out Child
– Last One Picked, First One Picked On: The Social Implications of Learning Disabilities
- Landmark Education
The above mentioned programs are not provided at Rocky Point Academy. Any tools or techniques introduced from these programs are separate and distinct from the Davis programs offered at Rocky Point Academy.